Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Vaping Equipment - Part 2

Following up on the The Ego Mega Atomizer & Cartridge (Type B - Cylinder)...

I've been using these mega attys for a few days now and I could not me more pleased.  There is still the question of longevity.  Back when I was testing the Ego Tank I was also happy, then it broke after five days of use.  But the Ego was something new.  These Mega Attys have been around for months and have already been tested by many.

I've read all complains I've found on the internet about the Mega Attys.  It seems the most common one is leaking.  But only some people have complained about leaks while the vast majority have reported no problems at all.  It might be the case that some people received bad units.  But assuming everybody had perfectly working units, then the leak problems had to be cause by something else that changes between users... it must be the juice.

I bought 4 Mega Attys.  So far I've use 3 of them with the following juices:

* Dekang Strawberry 100% VG (very thick juice)
* Dekang Menthol 50% PG / 50% VG
* Dekang RY4 100% PG (very thin juice)

  The menthol mix worked right away.  It has been my main vape for the last week and I'm very happy with the flavor, the vapor production and the throat hit.  The 100% VG strawberry gave me some trouble.  I had to fill up the cartridge and let it wick for a few minutes before I could get it going.  It makes an insane fog, but throat hit is really weak.  I'm keeping that atty as my back up, and use it for short periods of time when I just get tired of the menthol.

Finally, the 100% PG RY4.  This juice worked well on the standard 510 atty, where it gives me the most intense throat hit I ever gotten from a personal vaporizer.  But on the Mega Atty it just leaks all over the place, floods the atty and it doesn't work.  I've tried multiple times on that atty, cleaning it, drying it, and repeating everything all over.  But the juice is just too thin.

On my next juice order I'm going to get some 100% VG RY4 and try to mix it with the PG one, trying to get a thicker mix.  If the menthol worked well at 50% 50% I suspect the RY4 will as well.  If the test works, that would confirm that the Mega Attys have limitations on the juice thickness they can handle.  It would not be the first atty than can't handle juices that are too thick or too thin (looks at the Ego Tank).  But the increased capacity of the cartridge is so much of an improvement that I would rather fool around with the PG/VG ratio in the juices, rather than going back to the standard 510 attys.

Moving on to the battery, I'm still vaping out my Ego 650mAh passthrough battery.  This battery is a work horse.  And with the built in usb port, I can charge it everywhere and still vape from it while it's charging.  But as much as I love it, it still doesn't get me through the day.  There is a bigger version of this passthrough battery that has 35% more capacity @ 1000mAh.  But if the 650mAh one usually dies during my work shift, I suspect the 1000mAh will die on my commute back home.  I'm looking for something bigger.

Some big battery mods have called my attention.  Specially, the Silver Bullet with its 2600mAh battery.  The Silver Bullet uses standard 18650 rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries which are very cheap and can be bought from a variety of vendors.  One fully charged 18650 battery on a Silver Bullet should last me around 2 days and I could always have spare batteries, fully charged and ready to go.


Another runner up is the Provari mod.  It costs double as much as the Silver Bullet but it gives you the option to adjust the voltage on the go.  It also had some very nice features thanks to a microchip that enables all kinds of wonders.

Spending $100-$200 bucks on a mod that's essentially a big battery holder is not really the priority at this time.  I would rather spend the money in more liquid, trying to stock up before the government tax the hell out of it.  But I have to keep in mind that I only have ONE working battery right now and like all batteries, it WILL DIE.  I don't wanna be caught without a backup when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment